Stress Management Strategy: Rational Positive Thinking
Not every situation is stressful in its own right. It's the way we perceive each situation and the way we judge it according to our current condition and past experiences that make it a cause of worry and stress.
It's our own interpretation of a situation that decides if it is stressful or not. Hence, to free ourselves from stress, all we need to do should be to change our way of thinking. But it is not as simple as it sounds.
If we allow ourselves to be controlled by our situation, getting out from the under the stress is really hard. Moreover, due to the fact that stress is not triggered by one situation but rather an accumulation of events over a period of time, turning our backs on stress by just thinking of the positive is not always effective for everyone.
Therefore, in order for us to achieve a healthy level of stress through rational positive thinking, here are five useful techniques:
1. Accept that there are things beyond your control. Things such as the death of a relative, natural calamity, economic recession and the behavior of other people are beyond our control. Instead of stressing yourself over these, accept them as they are and focus on the things you can control such as the way you choose to react to the problems.
2. Do not tackle your problems alone. Talk to a friend, a relative or a therapist and express your feelings even if you know you cannot do anything about it. In most, cases, all you need is another person to see that there is a solution to your problems.
3. Forgive. People make mistakes. That includes you and everyone around you. After all, this is an imperfect world. Learn to let go of your anger and resentment. This is a good way to free your thoughts, remove the negative energy from your body, move on, and help you have a positive attitude.
4. "Look at the bright side." You hear this phrase so often that it has come to a point where it loses its meaning.
5. The truth, however, is that looking at a challenging situation as an opportunity for personal growth is a good way to free your mind from stress and learn from experience so that you will not undergo the same situation again.